In lieu of a conversation I had with a good friend over the summer, I thought I'd do a quick blog post on food. Matt- this one's for you! :)
I'm sure it was a generational thing, but when my mom was growing up, her mom would often make a dinner she eloquently called "bean sandwiches". It’s a very complex recipe: bread, pork & beans, cheese, little bit of onions, and bacon. Layer and bake for 10 mins. Cheap, easy, and quite tasty. So, growing up, my mom would make this meal for us. I don't remember thinking much of it, but I have many memories eating our classy bean sandwiches.
It wasn't until this conversation I had with Matt that I realized how cheap and potentially redneck these bean sandwiches seemed.
Then, my ward had a "Slumgulllion" party where everyone was supposed to bring a food that was a tradition and/or comfort food in our families growing up. So I brought bean sandwiches. We got some seriously funny looks telling our friends in the ward what we had brought, but most of them seemed pretty surprised at how good they were and how incredibly easy they are to make. Tom liked them so much, he kept asking why I hadn't made them until now (except that the leftovers are still sitting in our fridge :P)
I love traditions!!
And I'm surprisingly excited for Halloween this year (I usually hate Halloween. Scary is really my thing). Tom and I have some super awesome customs planned. But more on that later :)
I'm sure it was a generational thing, but when my mom was growing up, her mom would often make a dinner she eloquently called "bean sandwiches". It’s a very complex recipe: bread, pork & beans, cheese, little bit of onions, and bacon. Layer and bake for 10 mins. Cheap, easy, and quite tasty. So, growing up, my mom would make this meal for us. I don't remember thinking much of it, but I have many memories eating our classy bean sandwiches.
It wasn't until this conversation I had with Matt that I realized how cheap and potentially redneck these bean sandwiches seemed.
Then, my ward had a "Slumgulllion" party where everyone was supposed to bring a food that was a tradition and/or comfort food in our families growing up. So I brought bean sandwiches. We got some seriously funny looks telling our friends in the ward what we had brought, but most of them seemed pretty surprised at how good they were and how incredibly easy they are to make. Tom liked them so much, he kept asking why I hadn't made them until now (except that the leftovers are still sitting in our fridge :P)
I love traditions!!
And I'm surprisingly excited for Halloween this year (I usually hate Halloween. Scary is really my thing). Tom and I have some super awesome customs planned. But more on that later :)
No comments:
Post a Comment