Tom and I had the rare opportunity to go to the Magic Castle. It's a private magic club in Hollywood. When Tom first told me about it, I thought it would be weird. But the more I heard about it, the cooler it sounded.
I was able to get ahold of a guest card and gave it to Tom for his birthday...last year. I know, 11 months later, we finally go for Tom's birthday. It's sad, but it was totally worth the wait. Tom decided he wanted to go on Friday the 13th. The date didn't change the events at the Castle, but it was still a cool day to go. We took our friends Kevin and Andrea with us.
We got all dolled up (there's a dress code--think cocktail party type dress code) and got there at 5pm. Dinner was at 6pm, so we were able to take a tour of the Castle with one of the "Castle Knights" who gave us the history of the castle itself. If you are curious, you can read up on it here and watch a video here.
Dinner was AMAZING. Then we went off to wander the castle, burning time until our main show. The main show was great. I wish I could remember names, but there was a world renowned magician from Germany who had stuff floating, disappearing tables, you name it. Then there was a couple who had a really cool act which included handkerchiefs turning into umbrellas, flowers, dozens of instant wardrobe changes on stage. Amazing!
After that, we spent the rest of the evening wandering from room to room spending time up close with magicians. There were round tables set up in different rooms with 4 to 6 chairs around them and chairs set up in the remaining space in the room. We were able to sit around the table for a couple of the "acts" and their tricks were flawless. It was really fun to see the tricks up close and those guys were amazing--taking a card with my name on it from the deck and it appeared folded up inside a small box on the table. Tom and I got to the point early on in the evening where we stopped trying to figure out how they did it and focused on enjoying the magic.
Hands down, my favorite part was the piano played by a ghost named Irma. We had a great time asking Irma to play songs. We had her play "Dueling Banjo's", "Heart and Soul", and "Phantom of the Opera". And these weren't just quick one minute pieces. They were full on songs. Tom would say "Irma, will you please play ____?" and she would respond playing two different keys, so it sounded like she was saying "Okay". It was so fun!!
Unfortunately, they didn't allow us to take pictures inside the Castle, for obvious reasons, so I don't have any photographic evidence of the actual evening, so you'll have to take my word for it. I do have a few pictures of things we got to take home though.
Oh, how could I forget to mention the celebrity spotting's?! If any of you watch The Office or Parks and Rec, we sat right next to this guy:
If you ever know someone who is a member of the Magic Castle and have the chance to go, DO IT! It's completely worth the time and money.





No comments:
Post a Comment